[tn-bird] Re: Kingsport Rufous hummer and lessons for mortals

  • From: "Wallace Coffey" <jwcoffey@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2002 20:29:29 -0500

Jerry Ingles:

It ain't the first time and it won't be the last time
I saw something and it wasn't "seen right."  The
one my fellow birders love the most is the time
I saw a Ring-necked Pheasant sticking its head
up just above the vegetation and thought it was
a Red-headed Woodpecker perched on a stake
in the field.  Just for fun, look at the
drawing of both birds in a Peterson's field guide
and squint your eyes when you look at the
pheasant head and then the pattern of the
woodpecker.  That was 40 years ago when I
would squint a lot.  Seems like that old squinting
thing has come back in my old age :-)
For a mere mortal, you have a wonderful
perception of my "excellent birding eyes and
brains."  I like to hear that from a real birder
like you :-)    Birders don't pay many compliments.
Maybe it's because other birders squint too much!

Come go squinting with me and let me show
you an "incredibly wonderful bird."

Wallace Coffey
Bristol, TN