[TN-Bird] Killdeer fledglings

  • From: Carole Gobert <cpgobert@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Tennessee Bird List <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2012 15:35:45 -0400

At The Cove at Concord Park in west Knox County this morning I saw two young
killdeer and one agitated adult. I would have liked to take their photo but by
the time I got my camera out they were too far away and I did not want to
pursue them.  The parent was quite excitedly asking me not to while running in
the opposite direction.  I don't know much about aging young killdeer but these
were not just-out-of-the-nest tiny.  Neither was the one I saw at the Poland
Creek Campground in Blount County on April Fool's Day.
The Ospreys have rebuilt their nest on the channel marker at the Concord Park
Yacht Club.  It had been blown down by storms I suppose as it was missing when
I looked earlier this year.  I could just make out the head of one bird above
the rim of the nest but no sign of the mate.
Carole Gobert, Knoxville