[TN-Bird] KY Lake area (Henry & Benton Co); 9/09/07

  • From: <birder1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2007 16:34:29 -0500

9/09/07
KY Lake areas of Henry & Benton Co.
(Big Sandy flats, Pace Point, Eagle Creek, Paris Landing)

Michael Bernard and I made some of the rounds yesterday at KY Lake. The lake
hasn't dropped anymore from the last time I was there, and shorebird habitat
is still present, but not extensive. The best habitat is still on the Big
Sandy flats, but there were several duck hunters in that area, which didn't
help our cause any. Nothing unusual was seen, with the best bird probably
being a Merlin perched near the Big Sandy flats, my FOS. Also nice was a
line-up a couple of places of the 4 expected TN Terns away from the MS River
area.

Shorebirds seen were the following:

Semi Plover (at least 8 at Big Sandy, 4 at Lick Creek, and 2 at Eagle Creek)
Killdeer everywhere
Lesser Yellowlegs (1 at Lick Creek)
Solitary Sandpiper (3 at Lick Creek)
Spotted Sandpiper (at least one at all stops)
Least Sandpiper (30+ at Big Sandy, 4 at Pace Point)
Semipalmated Sandpiper (5 at Big Sandy)
Western Sandpiper (1 at Big Sandy)
Pectoral Sandpiper, more than I have of late (4 at Big Sandy, 5 at Pace
Point, 40+ at Eagle Creek)
 With all the Pectorals working the grass at Eagle Creek, I expected either
a Baird's or Buffy, as both are regular there, but no luck with either.

Ring-billed Gulls were widespread, but otherwise only 2 Laughing Gulls in
the Paris Landing area. The 2nd-winter was still hanging out at the swimming
area of Paris Landing State Park, and a juvenile was on the island out from
Paris Landing. Caspian Terns were everywhere, with well over 100 still in
the general area. Forster's Terns were numerous, as were Black Terns (25 at
Big Sandy, and at least that many in the Paris Landing area). We had a
single young Common Tern resting on a spit at Big Sandy, and at least two
Commons (adults) in the mass of birds on the island out from Paris Landing.
It's always nice to get all the terns lined-up in the same scope field.

Passerine migration was pretty slow, with a Least Flycatcher being about the
only thing of note. This was at the refuge at Big Sandy.

It's getting about time for KY Lake to start getting into it's prime
though!!

Good Birding!!

Mike Todd
McKenzie, TN