[TN-Bird] KY Lake; 9/5/2011

  • From: Michael Todd <birder1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TN Birds <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 5 Sep 2011 18:14:54 -0700 (PDT)

9/5/2011
KY Lake areas of Henry Co

Spent a few hours at KY Lake today. Somehow, this part of KY Lake seems to be
the only part with no mudflats, as Hap Chambers has nice flats just north of
the
state line. The island isn't out at all off Paris Landing, and the flats at the
mouth of the Big Sandy River aren't out any at all either. Very minimal flats
were out at the mouth of Eagle Creek, which was home to a large gathering of
gulls and terns (Caspain, Forster's, and a single Common) and a scattering of
common shorebird species. I had hoped for something along the lines of Frank's
Frigatebird (big congrats on that!!), but no luck with anything out of the
ordinary.

Did have a Merlin a few miles west of KY Lake, and even saw it briefly perch on
a wire, which I have rarely seen. Then it was back off in hot pursuit of
something else. Otherwise, a nice mixed feeding flock on Manor Rd, overlooking
the Big Sandy flats, had numerous warblers of 9 species including a
Golden-winged.

I have posted some odd and end shots of some common birds to my Fall 2011
gallery if anbody is interested. The first new shot starts here:

http://www.pbase.com/mctodd/image/137831658/original

Good Birding!!

Mike Todd
McKenzie, TN