[TN-Bird] KTOS Hawk Watch Sunday, September 18

  • From: amjwoody@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: Tennessee Bird List <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2011 23:33:11 +0000 (UTC)

Date:           Sunday September 18, 2011
Time:           8:00 am - 1:00 pm

Location:               Foothills Parkway, GSM, Townsend, TN

Hawk Watch and Early Fall Birding

Leader: Mike Nelson

We’ll start at the base of the Parkway off US 321 near Townsend. Meet at the
parking area/turnaround just
shortly after you turn south (right) onto the Parkway. There is an obvious
place where people pull over to park. Mike will be at the meet up place at 7:00
am and at 8:00 am we will start walking along the unpaved part of the Parkway
to the bridge and then back to the cars. We will search for migrating
songbirds, especially thrushes, vireos, and warblers. Eventually, we will head
up the paved part of the Parkway, until we reach the site with parking lots on
both sides of the road. From there, we will scan the skies for whatever raptors
and other birds might pass by. The most common raptor likely to be seen is
Broad-winged Hawk, but we can hope for other buteos, accipiters, falcons,
vultures, eagles – and perhaps some real surprises. There are usually migrating
songbirds at the hawk site to keep birders interested in between flights of
hawks.

Bring water and lunch. A chair can be useful too since there may be time to sit
and chat while no hawks are in view. A chair that reclines is even better so
that you can lean back and scan the sky in comfort.

Submitted by:  Alice Woody

KTOS Field Trip Coordinator