[TN-Bird] Re: John Vanderpoel's Big Year & Top TN Big Years

  • From: Michael Todd <birder1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, kbreault@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 1 Jan 2012 20:54:47 -0800 (PST)

Kevin,

The effort you put into tracking these listing statistics always amazes me.
Obviously it is a labor of love!

 An all-out ABA Big Year is beyond the means of most of us, but is definitely a
lot of fun to think and read about! Even an all-out TN Big Year is a serious
undertaking. Seeing the TN year lists laid out like that makes it pretty
obvious who spends the time in the field! To have the combination of knowing
when and where to look for just about every expected TN species, skill to pick
out the unexpected, and sheer amount of time in the field STUDYING birds, Jeff
is pretty much the tour de force of TN listing (and his location doesn't hurt
any!). It is a rare year when someone comes close to Jeff's annual total, which
is usually his WEST TN total. Scott had a great run this year.  Someone could
conceivably up Jeff's record year list, but I doubt his overall TN list is ever
surpassed.

Thanks again for keeping up and sharing these various listing totals with the
rest of us! Always interesting reading.

Mike Todd
McKenzie, TN
birder1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx