[TN-Bird] Re: Jeff Wilson passing

  • From: Mac McWhirter <npmcwhirter@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TN-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2013 06:13:42 -0600

Dear fellow Tennessee birders,

Mike Todd has written a wonderfully eloquent tribute to his friend and
fellow birder Jeff Wilson this morning. Jeff's contributions to the
enjoyment of birding in Tennessee and neighboring states over many decades
is almost beyond measure. Even folks who never met him personally owe him a
huge debt of gratitude for many unique insights into and observations of
our natural world.

It is impossible to imagine a  more dedicated or persistent observer.  If
it was rainy and muddy, he was out there. If there was a circuit to run in
a particular birding season, it was never too long. If it took sitting for
days to identify a certain bird, he patiently sat there alone and scoped
all day in places that, as we all know, are sometimes unimaginably remote
and unappealing locales! And, most important, if an inexperienced birder
was clueless about the behavior or subtle field marks of a tough species,
he spent the time to teach and make them better observers. He piqued
interest and skills in us all.

His example of keen observation, persistence and sharing the knowledge
gained will live on through many birders for a long time.

Mac McWhirter
Shelby County, TN