[TN-Bird] January = 98

  • From: Charlie <cmmbirds@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TN-Bird <TN-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Panther Lounge <thepantherlounge@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2005 18:40:32 -0800 (PST)

Hi folks,

Many of you may have read that I am attempting to see as many bird
species in one year in just one county as I can.  I've been getting
lots of tips from some good folks (Jean Alexander, David Johnson, Tom
Howe, Warren Bielenberg, Jim Human to name a few) which I greatly
appreciate.

Today I saw a drake Canvasback south of Maryville, which Warren
Bielenberg was nice enough to share with me after he found it
yesterday.  Blue-winged Teal is the only waterfowl I have not seen
which I have a reasonable chance of finding in this county.

This brings my sightings to 98 species in Blount County this month,
including some scaup, which I believe to be Lesser, at Phelps Dairy
Farm Pond yesterday.

I've missed at least 6 birds that others have seen, so 100 in Blount
in January is possible.  I only had 2 rare birds - Brewer's Blackbird
and Lincoln's Sparrow.  Misses:  Common Goldeneye, Common Raven,
Horned Lark, Pine Warbler, Pine Siskin, Black-crowned Night Heron.
There was also that possible Goshawk that I could never be sure of.

A stop by Hitch Pond yesterday yielded:  1 Northern Shoveller, 12
Redheads, 2 Northern Pintails, several Mallards, 1 Black Duck, 25+
Ring-necked Ducks, 15 Gadwall and 4 Hooded Mergansers.  Somewhere I
heard, but never saw, a Red-headed Woodpecker.

Stopping by Heritage High School, in an attempt for the elusive
Horned Larks (which I didn't see) I found 1 Palm Warbler (yellow
form) about 80 Killdeer, 1 Great Blue Heron, 15 Savannah Sparrows,
about 300 American Robins (the robin and killdeer numbers were
noticeably DOWN from Thursday afternoon) and one Eastern Phoebe.

What will February bring?  Stay tuned.

Charlie

=====
Charlie Muise, Naturalist in
Great Smoky Mountains National Park

"To the dull mind all nature is leaden.  To the illuminated mind
the whole world sparkles with light."  - Ralph Waldo Emerson