[TN-Bird] Invitation-Alabama Bird Banding

  • From: RubyThroat@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2007 13:05:24 EDT

Good Morning Fellow TN-Birders
I want to take this opportunity to invite you all to visit our  spring
banding session at Fort Morgan State Historical Park.  We  open the site to the
public on March 31st and close the session mid-morning  of April 13th.  We open
our nets well before dawn and usually close  them between 3-5PM daily,
depending
on the activity of the migrant birds we are  attempting to net and band.

The birding can be excellent at Fort Morgan, which is located just  a ferry
ride from Dauphin Island.  When you come, please feel  free to spend the day
with us.  If you drive down, you may wish to  come to Gulf Shores and then come
westward on Highway #180 to the end of  the peninsula to the Fort.

Bring a chair for each in your party.  We will have porta-potty  facilities
at our site, compliments of our members.  Bring you lunch  if you wish.  There
is a restaurant only 3 miles east of the site.   Insect repellent is always a
good item to have in your back pack when you are on  the Gulf Coast.  Don't
forget to bring your best camera and lots  of memory or film.  Take home
in-hand
shots of some migrant birds  in breeding plumage, things such as Painted
Buntings, Scarlet  Tanagers, warblers out the wazoo are common as house
sparrows.
We do  catch some neat stuff in spring, with lots of Indigo Buntings, five or
six  species of Vireos, lots of Grosbeaks and occasional nightjars if you
are there early.  Morning net rounds generally produces the most birds and  the
most variety of species.

We can have slow days, but even then it is fun to hold major league Q &  A
session with our hosts of Master Banders.  This session we  will have some
guest
banders from "up north".  Folks like Scott  Weidensaul (I am told that he
writes books), Anthony Hill of MA, Nick  Pulcinella of PA and others will be in
attendance as well.

Call me at 205-681-2888 if Martha and I can assist in any  way.

Bob and Martha Gail Sargent
The Hummer/Bird Study Group, Inc.
Clay, Alabama
_www.hummingbirdsplus.org_ (http://www.hummingbirdsplus.org)