[TN-Bird] Invasion of the Berrysnatchers

  • From: Rconnorsphoto@xxxxxxx
  • To: TN-Bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2003 21:46:04 EST

This afternoon I watched as hordes of robins and starlings stripped the
berries from a large holly tree at the corner of my house. This was more of a
feeding frenzy than the usual late-winter gathering of a couple dozen genteel
cedar waxwings. The waxwings usually are around for several days before they
seemingly work up the nerve to challenge the resident mockingbird. Today the
'mocker was nowhere in sight.
 I noticed the neighbor's yards covered with flocks of starlings and other
"blackbirds", all working the recently thawed ground. I realized there were
birds everywhere! We must be the southern end of the frost line right now.
 I took the opportunity to look at the American Robin a little closer, since
they were all around, at my feet and in the trees above.( I quickly put the
truck in the garage)
 The range of intensity of orange of the breast, black to grey of the head-
relative to male/female, mostly. Bill color, eye markings and  the throat
streaking that I have not had the chance to study and admire since I don't
remember when. Several birds lined up on one branch gave a better range of
pattern and color than any field guide.
  With the trees full of noisy flocks of blackbirds, E. Starlings and C.
Grackles mostly, I also observed a bit of group dynamics. The noise level
would reach a peak and then diminish as if one of them whispered " shut up!
be quiet for a sec.! I think I hear a predator trying to sneak up on us."
Then the chattering would begin again.

             Richard Connors
              Nashville TN