[TN-Bird] Interesting Red-tailed Hawk, Montgomery Co, Krider's?

  • From: "Stanley York Jr." <swy911@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 20 Oct 2012 15:02:26 -0700 (PDT)

October 20, 2012
Montgomery County, TN

Today around 2:45pm I observed an interesting Red-tailed Hawk soaring at a
pretty high altitude.  The bird was mostly all white from below, with very pale
barring on the underwings. The stomach and breast was nearly all white. What I
found the most striking was the amount of white on the head. The head appeared
nearly all white with a small amount of brown streaked on the side of the head
around the eyes.  The tail had a slight reddish tinge to it, but just in the
center or middle of the underside of the tail, with the rest being white. The
hawk never banked enough to show the top or dorsal side of the wings, back, or
tail.  The bird continued off to the southwest after being harassed by 4 crows.

Comments welcomed..

Stanley York Jr
Palmyra/Montgomery Co