[TN-Bird] Interesting Day at Hiwassee Wildlife Refuge Area

  • From: Charles Murray <dro_1945@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TN- BIRD <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2012 17:51:24 -0800 (PST)

Visitors from West Virginia and Kentucky were among at least 28 people who came
to the Hiwassee Wildlife Refuge in Meigs Co. at Birchwood today, Presidents'
Day. In the morning, I saw about 500 sandhill cranes and 6 immature bald eagles
from the Cherokee Removal Memorial Park. A little later in the morning, I saw a
few hundred sandhills at HWR. I also saw a Cooper's hawk, dozens of mallards,
and about one dozen widgeons. Between 5 and 6:15 p.m., Doug McCoy, Ken and Liz
Croom, and I saw as many as 3,000 migrating sandhill cranes pass over HWR
flying north. Returning to the CRMP near dusk, the same group of people saw
around 1,000 sandhills in the Hiwassee Island area. Two adult bald eagles were
also observed. Great horned owl calls were heard at both HWR and the CRMP in
late afternoon.Very late and with little light left, a "white bird" was spotted
by Doug among a large number of sandhills. The distance was so great and the
remaining light so small that
 we could not determine if the bird was a whooping crane or possibly a snow
goose.

Charles Murray
Birchwood, TN