[TN-Bird] In Town Birding

  • From: OLCOOT1@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 9 Jan 2003 09:01:26 EST

Jan. 9, 2003
Bartlett-Memphis
Shelby Co. TN

Yesterday, I pulled up to one of the busiest corners in Memphis only to look
up on a telephone post and notice a small hawk perched. I pulled into the
service station and positioned my car to view this adult Cooper's Hawk giving
the intersection a cold, calculated study. It sat for a good 5 minutes
occasionally bobbing its head, measuring distances to a very precise degree
I'm sure.

It finally slip its perch and sped down the street making a sharp turn
between two buildings. I see a lot of Cooper's in residential areas but it is
always a pleasure and surprise to see such a creature in a busy business
district. What makes it even better is all the unknowing souls passing all
around. I've seen a Goshawk in midtown Memphis, so nothing is a complete
surprise.

On Cooper's, we recently had our discussion of their prey size carrying
ability but go to the Illinois List and read about one taking a healthy full
size Mallard that had just flown into a feeder, killing it and dragging it
under a bush to feed. When you are hungry you will try anything.

Last night, while leaving my son's house around 9 PM, I heard distant short,
puppy like barks and ran back in to get my grandson. We stood listening as
the barks became clearer and finally, with eyes straining, saw the slim white
vees of Snow Geese, their breasts faintly glowing from the reflection of
lights in the subdivision. They were steadily going west toward the waiting
rice field feasts. I've shown Ryne the flocks of Snows in Mississippi before
but this was his first at night migration. He summed it up as "neat" and I
left him straining to hear more night sounds.

Good Birding!!!

Jeff R. Wilson
OL' COOT / TLBA
Bartlett Tenn.