[TN-Bird] Imm. White Ibis at Eagle bend hatchery in Anderson Co.

  • From: "Ron Hoff" <rondolly@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "TN-BIRD" <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2005 11:46:44 -0400

Tn-Birders,
I was alerted to these immature White Ibis being at Eagle bend Fish Hatchery in
Anderson Co. (on the very east side of the city of Clinton, beside the Clinch
River) by Jim Campbell at about 0900. I decided to check them out, as these
would represent a new Anderson Co. species for me.

I arrived about 1000. The first birds I saw were 3 Willets in the ponds on the
left, but closer to the entrance. I then went to the back ponds. The first pond
on the left, next to the main road and after the power lines, was where all the
birds were. There were about 300 birds of several species. The 2 White Ibis
were in this pond. Also there were:

100+ Killdeer
98 Least Sandpiper (some still in their gorgeous breeding plumage)
1 Western Sandpiper
1 Greater Yellowlegs
60+ Lesser Yellowlegs
3 Spotted Sandpipers
4 Dowichers, probably Short-billed
4 Black-crowned Night-Herons
4 Great Egrets
7 Green Herons
3 Willets - these birds eventually showed up at the back pond too.

It was drizzeling all the time I was there, but not too badly. This is as many
waders as I have seen out here in a while. It was a real treat to watch them
all and I picked up 2 new Anderson Co. species as well (the Willets were new
too).

Ain't life grand!

Ron Hoff
Clinton, TN