[tn-bird] Illegal Dead Birds

  • From: "Charles P. Nicholson" <cpnichol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2002 22:08:19 -0500

For you folks interested in wildlife laws:
Possession of dead blue jays, regardless of how they were acquired, is a
violation of the Migratory Bird Treaty Act unless the possessor has the
appropriate license from the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service and/or state
wildlife agency.  The Lacey Act addresses trade (i.e., buying/selling) of
animal or plant parts taken in violation of a U.S. or foreign law.

Chuck Nicholson
Norris, TN