[tn-bird] Re: Identity of eggs on floor of Silo?

  • From: Charlie <cmmbirds@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 24 Mar 2002 15:46:36 -0800 (PST)

--- John Devereux Joslin <jdjoslin@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>  Exploring an old barn around 11 am today (Mar. 24) at Freels
>Bend, Oak Ridge, we discovered 5 intact white eggs (oval, >about 3
inch long) on the bare floor of a silo.  Numerous pellets >and nuch
white guano splotching were found in another part of >the silo, but
no evidence of nesting material or a parent in the >vicinity.

Hi Dev and others,

My experience with vulture nests consists of exactly one nest each,
both in Maryland.  I'm told that the Turkey Vulture nest I saw had
been used for several years and that the year I followed it's
progress fit the pattern of previous years.

The Turkey Vulture nest had 4 eggs, but only 2 hatched.  It's
believed both chicks fledged.  The nest was found about this time of
year with 3 of the eggs laid.  They were a creamy, almost white
color.  Nest was in a hollow tree, 5.5 feet off the ground, and 2
feet below the entrance hole.  No nesting material was there, unless
you count various animal parts (even a stinkpot shell!)

The Black Vulture nest was "inside" a partially colapsed farm out
building.  There were 2 eggs of which one hatched and is believed to
have fledged.  Also creamy whitish color.  Every visit to this nest
resulted in similar observations.  A single adult, presumably the
female would very noisily RUN from the "nest", hop/fly/stumble up to
a perch about 15 feet off the ground, and sit there observing the
human(s) from about 25 feet away.  Noone ever saw a 2nd bird there,
nor did the bird ever fly away.

I've seen just a few Barn Owl nests, never saw the eggs of any.  The
ones I've seen have all been off the ground.

Charlie

=====
Charlie Muise, Senior Naturalist
Great Smoky Mountains Institute at Tremont
Townsend, TN  lat 35 deg, 38'23"  long 83 deg, 41'22"

"Do something. If it works, do it again. If it does not work, do something
else. But above all else: Do Something." (Franklin Delano Roosevelt)