[TN-Bird] Ibis ID at Eagle Bend hatchery

  • From: "Ron and Dollyann" <aves7000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "TN-Bird" <TN-Bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2009 08:27:09 -0400

TN-birders,
Dollyann and I found a dark ibis at Eagle Bend fish hatchery in Anderson County
yesterday afternoon. Initially I called it a Glossy, but I need to re-state
that as a dark ibis. The identification of juveniles of Glossy and White-faced
is notoriously difficult. After Chris Sloan reminded me of this, I looked up
some reference material at home and on the internet.

I could not find a good photo of a juvenile White-faced on the internet, but I
only checked a couple of sources. I was able to get a decent digi-photo of the
Eagle Bend bird and I have already sent it to someone in New York to look at
for his opinion. While the books I looked at said the ID of these juveniles is
difficult, it did NOT say it was impossible. I also sent a copy of my photo to
Chris Sloan for his opinion.

The only book we had in the car at the time was an older version of the
National Geographic guide. It mentions a thin bluish line between the eye and
bill, which the bird yesterday had. I could see it in the scope and also in my
photo. This feature is not mentioned in our newer Sibley guide.

One photo of a juvie White-faced Ibis on the internet showed the joints of the
legs having a reddish tinge. Our bird yesterday had all dark legs.

Eye color was dark or dark brown. In adults of these 2 species, the eye is
reddish in White-faced and dark brown in Glossy.

White-faced is a more western bird where the Glossy is a more eastern bird.
While this is not by any means definitive, it's another factor to consider. I
looked at Robinson's Annotated Checklist of TN birds and I found no records in
this end of the state. Dollyann and I have seen White-faced over in west TN,
but I've never seen Glossy in the state.

I will continue to check in to this ID over the next few days and if I find any
other substantiating or interesting information, I'll pass it along. In the
meantime we should probably say that this is an ibis sp. (although since it
would be a state bird for me, I'm leaning very heavily towards Glossy!!!).

Great Birding,

Ron Hoff and Dollyann Myers
Clinton, TN

                       MAP RESOURCES