[tn-bird] Hiwassee on Saturday

  • From: "K. Dean Edwards" <kde@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Tennessee Birds <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2002 10:14:44 -0500 (EST)

A late post on some birding around Bradley, Meigs and Rhea Co., TN
on Saturday, 23 February 2002.

Several thousand Sandhill Cranes are still around at the overlook
area at Blythe Ferry.  I missed seeing either species of eagle.
A few ducks came in to the overlook late in the evening (4 N.
Pintail, 40+ Gadwall, ~6 Hooded Merganser, 30+ Green-winged Teal,
1 Ring-necked Duck, ~10 Wood Duck, and a handfull of Canada Geese
and Mallards) along with a few Double-crested Cormorants.

At the old ferry landing on Hwy 60, I had 3 male Red-breasted
Mergansers.  I couldn't find the Harris's Sparrows despite much
looking.  There were a few sparrows here (White-Throated, Song,
Chipping), an E Phoebe and a Red-shouldered Hawk.

On Blythe Ferry Lane, I had two bearded, tom Wild Turkeys running
along the road in front of the car on the way in.  On the way
out, a small raptor with pointed wings, heavily streaked breast
and an unevenly striped tail flew out over the road, did a mid-air
180 like something you would see in a cartoon and ducked back
towards the small pines that cover that area.  About 90% sure
it was a Merlin but came and went very quickly.

At South Mouse Creek, I had 5 C Snipe, Killdeer and a single
Am Pipit... no other shorebirds.

One of my favorite birding spots in this area has been put under
the bulldozer.  The large stand of pines along McBryant Road
just east of Exit 33 on I-75 is now gone.  This has been a great
spot for Red-headed Woodpecker (my personal high count here is
8 birds including two active nests), Brown-headed Nuthatch and
Pine Warbler.  Only Pine Warbler was found Saturday.  Was this
due to S. Pine Beetle?  At least the fields here will still be
good for Loggerhead Shrike, Grasshopper Sparrow, Blue Grosbeak,
Cattle Egret and Scissor-tailed Flycatcher.

Dean Edwards
Knoxville, TN