[TN-Bird] Hiwassee Wildlife Refuge December 21 - Amazing Morning

  • From: Charles Murray <dro_1945@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-bird <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2012 05:49:50 -0800 (PST)

I had an amazing count of 24 immature bald eagles on a mud
bar in the Hiwassee River from the Cherokee Removal Memorial Park in Meigs
County at Birchwood around 7:30
AM this morning. The temperature was about 33 degrees Fahrenheit, and the wind
was VERY
HIGH. Probably because of the high wind, almost no cranes were roosting in
their usual places on the mud bars in the Tennessee and Hiwassee rivers.

Then I drove over to the Hiwassee Wildlife Refuge viewing area. When I arrived
there at about 8 AM, there was one adult bald eagle and at least 13 immature
bald eagles flying over the slough and trying to catch fish from the slough. A
few minutes later I saw two adults. Possibly/probably some or all of these
eagles were the same as the ones I'd seen a few minutes earlier from the CRMP
viewing area.

Numerous sandhill cranes, one whooping cranes, and many hundreds of ducks were
also in the slough at the HWR viewing area.

Charles Murray
Birchwood, TN