[TN-Bird] Hiwassee Crane Report for Friday

  • From: Charles Murray <dro_1945@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TN- BIRD <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2011 16:34:59 -0800 (PST)

Some of our visitors today to the Hiwassee Wildlife Refuge in Meigs Co. at
Birchwood were from Ohio and Oklahoma, two states
not previously noted since the hooded crane arrived. Visitors from 21
states, Ecuador, and Russia have now been at the refuge since Tuesday,
December 13, when the hooded crane was first seen at HWR. At least 70
visitors were at the refuge today for a total of at least 554 since December 14
when the presence of the hooded crane was posted on this list serve. The hooded
crane was in view off-and-on throughout
the day and was in view when I left the refuge. One adult and one
juvenile whooping crane were seen at various times during the day. At
least a few thousand sandhill cranes were also present. A staff person from the
International Crane Foundation who is doing research in China visited the
refuge today to see the whooping cranes, the sandhill cranes, and the hooded
crane which is native to China and other Asian nations. I should leave the
prediction of water levels to TVA. The Hiwassee River, Tennessee River, and the
slough at HWR were still at about the same level as yesterday when I predicted
that the heavy rains from yesterday would flood the mudflats!

Charles Murray
Birchwood, TN