[TN-Bird] Hiwassee Area Saturday

  • From: Charles Murray <dro_1945@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TN- BIRD <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 18 Feb 2012 16:57:31 -0800 (PST)

At least 42 visitors, all from various areas in Tennessee, were noted on a TOS
visitor list at the Hiwassee Wildlife Refuge in Meigs Co. at Birchwood today.
Total visits to HWR since December 14 (not including the crane festival) are
now at least 4,352! In the early morning I saw around a thousand sandhill
cranes on mudbars around Hiwassee Island from the Cherokee Removal Memorial
Park overlook. There were perhaps a few dozen sandhill cranes at the HWR about
8 a.m. About 4 p.m., the number of sandhills at HWR was still about the same. I
went back to the CRMP about 5:15 p.m. where I expected to see around a thousand
sandhills again. However, the numbers were significantly lower. Even though the
winds were mostly calm all day, perhaps many of the sanhills might have
migrated north during the day. Two major sightings from the CRMP at late
afternoon were the first osprey of the year and two juvenile whooping cranes,
which arrived just before dusk.

Charles Murray
Birchwood, Tn