[TN-Bird] History of the Whooping Crane in the Southeastern UnitedStates

  • From: "Troy Ettel" <Troy.Ettel@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2003 15:20:50 -0600

I'm not one into self-promotion, but Betty Miles of the Tennessee Aquarium
asked me to post this on TNBIRDS in case anyone might be interested in coming
out.  I'll be talking about some research I've been doing into the historic
occurrence on whooping cranes in and around Tennessee.  Ken Dubke will follow
me, bringing everyone up-to-date on the recent recovery efforts in the eastern
United States for whooping cranes.

Restoring Whooping Cranes and the Tennessee Story
Thursday, January 16, 6:30 - 8:30 P.M.

The state of Tennessee is playing an integral role in the effort to
reintroduce a migratory flock of whooping cranes into eastern North America.
Absent from their ancestral range east of the Mississippi River for over 100
years, this experimental program seeks to teach young whooping cranes their
long-forgotten migratory route to wintering habitat in Florida, using an
ultra-light aircraft as a surrogate parent.

Local crane enthusiast Ken Dubke will narrate the Whooping Crane Eastern
Partnership slide presentation about the on-going reintroduction project.

Then, Troy Ettel, State Ornithologist with the Tennessee Wildlife Resources
Agency, will provide the historical perspective.  Did the whooping crane,
long associated with remote Canadian wilderness and Texas coastal prairie,
once grace the skies of Tennessee?  Ettel's presentation will examine the
evidence of whooping cranes in the Southeast and ask what historic niche
this species might have occupied.  In addition, we will look at images from
the return of the whooping crane to our area in 2001, including the historic
arrival of the birds behind ultra-light aircraft.

All Ages
Limited to 200
Free
Aquarium auditorium