[TN-Bird] Herndon TOS at Phipps Bend report

  • From: Dnldhlt@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2004 15:04:53 EST
Saturday 13 NOV 2004, the Herndon Chapter of TOS at Elizabethton held a field
trip to Phipps Bend along the Holston River in Hawkins County.  Participating
were Gil Derouen, Dianne Draper, Don Holt, Rick Knight, and Larry McDaniel.
Arriving at the site of the abandoned nuclear project, we were excited to see
a Bald Eagle soaring over the river before we even got out of the vehicle.  A
hike around the large open field near us brought further raptor sightings
including Northern Harrier, and some aerial interactions among three American
Kestrels.  After searching the field for sparrows, we were met by a very polite
gentleman, the caretaker of the property for the Industrial Board, who informed
us that the area was off limits.  In our excitement over the Bald Eagle, we
had failed to notice that we were parking directly behind a No Trespassing
sign!
 The rest of the trip was spent on the public walking trail on the other side
of the ponds, where we later came across Ron and Rose Lapp.  The habitat
there looks like it ought to be quite productive for birding throughout the
year,
and the thought was expressed without dissent that the area ought to be birded
more often.  The morning was concluded with an enjoyable meal at Wild Willy's
Barbecue in Church Hill, which has a surprisingly large and varied menu for a
small restaurant, including breakfast any time of day.
     Species seen were as follows:
Pied-billed Grebe
Double-crested Cormorant
Great Blue Heron