[TN-Bird] Hermit Thrush, etc. (Hawkins Co., TN)

  • From: Don Miller <raincrow@xxxxxxx>
  • To: TN-Bird <TN-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Bristol-birds <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Butternuts <butternuts@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 05 Feb 2006 20:51:08 -0500

February 4, 2006
[posting date: February 5, 2006]

Hawkins Co., TN

Yesterday afternoon (February 4), I took a short excursion through
southwestern Hawkins County, mostly on a scouting trip for future
reference.  I began in Bull's Gap and worked my way up Bull's Gap-St.
Clair Road to St. Clair community.  Turning north on Highway 344, I
proceeded to Cherokee Lake a few miles away and stopped briefly at
several shoreline areas.  I then drove to Rogersville on Highway 11-W
and headed back toward Greeneville, stopping along Old Highway 70 near
the Hugh B. Day Bridge on Highway 66.  Farther down Old Highway 70, I
caught Dru Hanes Road and followed it to Highway 70, which leads back
into Greene County.

Weather conditions were less than ideal, and I didn't record a lot of
birds.  However, I did find several species that seldom get reported
from Hawkins County and thought it good to pass along the info.  Here's
that list, along with a few other birds:

Great Blue Heron (7);
Turkey Vulture (21);
American Kestrel (3);
Ring-billed Gull;