[TN-Bird] Henslow's Sparrows et al

  • From: <terrywitt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2005 8:08:54 -0400

This may be a bit mundane with all the Ivory-bill news flooding the chat lines.
 I spent yesterday birding my way southeast to Chattanooga and dinner with my
newly fledged attorney daughter.
A stopover in Coffee County yielded a large colony of Henslow's Sparrows.  This
must be the easiest spot in Tennessee to see this species, and one can hear
them calling without even getting out of the car!  Directions:  exit I-24 114
(Hwy 41) near Manchester.  About a mile south, turn left on Asbury Road.
Proceed about 4 miles and then left on Hickerson Road.  You will drive through
a large sod farm, and then the road turns sharp left, and then back right.  At
the second turn is a TWRA sign "Bark Camp Barrens".  The colony is in this
field on the left.  De Lorme page 23 right at the top, just above the "s" in
barrens.
The birds sing (call?) mostly from the dense grass, but some like to perch up
on the small trees present.  They seemed to ignore my tape.  A scope would be
helpful for better views.

Moving on to Chattanooga, I spent the rest of the day at Standifer Gap Marsh
and Brainerd Levee.  At SG, I had no luck with the Least Bitterns.  A number of
Virginia Rails were heard, and many Soras are present.  Also seen was one Marsh
Wren, and a Mallard nest near the boat dock with 9 eggs.  At Brainerd Levee,
there was a nice group of shorebirds behind Boyd Buchanan School including both
legs, Pecs, Solitaries, a few Least and 2 Semiplovers.  I stomped the marsh
there trying for the A Bitterns reported earlier, but they seem to have moved
on North.

Terry Witt
Murfreesboro Tn