[TN-Bird] Re: Henry County spring arrivals & others (pic)

  • From: "Ford, Robert" <robert_p_ford@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <yodergoat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2013 14:31:22 -0500

On white-breasted nuthatch behavior that you mention below, it reminded me
of a paper in The Migrant by Anne Tarbell (available here:
http://www.tnbirds.org/MigrantOnline/V068/V068p001-006.pdf  ).  She also
presented this information at the Fall TOS symposium; it's still one of my
favorite presentations/papers.  In her case, the female acted much as you
describe below and it seemed to be about courtship.  Defensive behavior was
more often bill sweeping.  Her paper is an easy read, and worth it.

Very cool observation - I've been hoping to see it, but never have.  Thanks
for sharing.

Bob Ford
Haywood County