[TN-Bird] Help needed with Henslow's Sparrow Atlas project

  • From: jgiocomo@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 15 May 2006 18:32:44 -0400

This year we are beginning our first year of a new project continuing=20
our work at the University of Tennessee monitoring grassland bird=20
populations at Fort Campbell Army Base on the border of Kentucky and=20
Tennessee.  We will be surveying areas in Stewart, Montgomery, and=20
Robertson Counties in TN, and Trigg, Christian, Logan, Todd and Simpson=20
Counties in KY, to compare grassland bird populations within the Army=20
base to populations outside the base.   To supplement our work with=20
grassland birds, we are requesting volunteers to collect information=20
specifically about Henslow=E2=80=99s Sparrow populations and habitat use=20
throughout the states Tennessee and Kentucky.

As you may know, according to the Breeding Bird Survey (BBS) Henslow=E2=80=
=99s=20
Sparrow populations have been declining range-wide at a rate of =E2=80=938.7=
%=20
per year since 1966, one of the most severe declines of any bird in=20
North America.  But you may not be aware that trend is based on=20
detections of Henslow=E2=80=99s Sparrows at just 174 BBS locations among=20
hundreds of survey locations in the Henslow=E2=80=99s Sparrow breeding range=
=20
conducted between 1966 and 2004. More information is urgently needed to=20
target management efforts to reverse the severe population declines.=20
The Henslow=E2=80=99s Sparrow Atlas Project is designed to determine the=20
population status and habitat and area requirements of the Henslow=E2=80=99s=
=20
Sparrow and other grassland associated species.

In Tennessee, a recently discovered Henslow=E2=80=99s Sparrows breeding=20
population in White County, TN, along with the known populations in=20
Fort Campbell and in Coffee County, offer hope that other populations=20
could be found throughout the state if there are enough people looking=20
in the =E2=80=9Cright=E2=80=9D habitats.  The hope is this atlas project wil=
l provide=20
birders the excuse to spend some time birding between May 15 and July=20
15 in habitats that are usually not popular birding areas, namely=20
unmowed agricultural grasslands, leading to the discovery of other=20
unknown Henslow=E2=80=99s Sparrow populations.  Middle and west Tennessee ar=
e=20
especially likely areas for new Henslow=E2=80=99s Sparrow population=20
discoveries, but it is not impossible to find possible locations in=20
East TN.

If you are interested in participating in this important conservation=20
project, you can download data forms and a full explanation of the=20
protocol (PDF files) at=E2=80=A6

http://web.utk.edu/~jgiocomo/HESPatlas.htm

The website provides a link to the data form and field protocol, and a=20
longer version of the protocol including pictures of Henslow=E2=80=99s Sparr=
ows=20
from Tennessee and possible habitats.

Thanks in advance for you cooperation.  If you have any questions you=20
can contact me at jgiocomo@xxxxxxxx

Jim Giocomo
Knoxville, TN

                  EXCELLENT MAP RESOURCES