[tn-bird] Harris' Sparrow / Sandhill Cranes

  • From: JimmWilkerson@xxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2002 12:16:38 EST

Hiwassee Wildlife Refuge:

  It's still not to late to see Sandhill Cranes in good numbers.  However,
binoculars and a good scope are recommended!  Saturday Danny & Anita Gaddy
and Cynthia & I saw approximately 4500 Cranes on the refuge.  In early
morning the refuge was bathed in a blanket of mist. But, the heavy fog was
not impenetrable to the incessant chatter of the cranes across the
impoundment.  Ocassionally we could hear family groups flying overhead
punctuated by the shrieks of immature birds.

  By 10:30 am the fog began to burn off from the effects of the Sun and it
was back to work.  We had agreed to meet with a group of middle schoolers
from Chattanooga.  Their patience had began to grow thin just as we were
beginning to get ghostly views of the birds across the lake.  As cheers went
up there was a mad rush to the scopes for up close and personal looks at the
red crowns on the cranes heads.

  I can never get over the number of people who now frequent the refuge.
Birders are such a friendly group of people.  We have made several new
friends.  License plates in the parking lot repesented the states of
Pennsylvania, Maryland, South Carolina, North Carolina, Alabama, Georgia and
seven counties in Tennessee.  We spoke with almost everyone there. (Someone
tell Ken Dubke that we didn't miss anyone and we gave them all literature)
As for one couple in particular, the husband grew up in Ontario while the
wife is from an area near Boston.  Chattanooga birders be on the look out.
Her father is an ornithologists who now lives in Collegedale.  He is looking
for another group of the birding family to join.  Lets make him welcome!!!

  On our way home Cynthia and I stopped by the Harris' Sparrow hang out.
Within minutes we saw one of the two reported birds in the same brush pile!

Jimmy Wilkerson
Hixson, Tn.