[TN-Bird] Grtr White-fronted Goose. Marion Co. 12/23

  • From: Dan Snell <dan_snell@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Tennessee Birders <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Dec 2015 00:59:41 +0000

12/23/15
Marion County: Nickajack Lake Area
Shellmound Campground Area/ Public Use Area
DeLorme Tennessee Atlas: page 76 E-1

All,

Just a heads up for the Nickajack Lake Area- this afternoon I found a
Greater-White Fronted Goose along the shores of Nickajack Lake. The bird was
feeding in the grassy area (behind the restrooms) and (when threatened) would
walk onto one of the small fishing piers. The bird appears to have an injured
wing.

This species hasn't been recorded in E-bird for the county yet- so I would say
it is a pretty good one for the area.

Also it appears that currently two species could be attempting to nest on the
man made structures in the middle of the Lake (noticed from the boat ramp)- a
Ring-billed Gull (giving the 'incubating' pose during my entire hour
observation time) and Rock Pigeons

From Nickajack Dam, proceed east to the first ungated paved road, turn south,
and follow to the boat ramp area- scan just east along the grassy shoreline.

Good Birding and Happy Holidays!

Dan Snell
Lynchburg,TN