[TN-Bird] Greene Co., TN Sedge Wren

  • From: Dnldhlt@xxxxxxx
  • To: bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2003 00:10:33 -0400

Wednesday, September 24, 2003
Clyde Austin 4-H Center
Greene Co., TN
D. Holt

Between noon and 1 pm today I saw a Sedge Wren in a fence row bordering a
thickly grown, weedy fescue field on property adjacent to the Clyde Austin 4-H
Center belonging to the Tobacco Experiment Station.  This was a life bird for
me, and it took me a while to realize what it was.  I thought it was a House
Wren, until I noticed the fine white and black lines on the back.  Fortunately,
the camp dog was nosing around in the fencerow, and the wren kept popping up a
couple of feet above ground level to watch it, so I had plenty of time to look
at field marks at distances between 5 and 15 ft.  Other species seen near this
site today included Savannah Sparrow, Palm Warbler, and Northern Bobwhite.

Don Holt
Johnson City, TN