[tn-bird] Great-tailed Grackle- No luck

  • From: Mikectodd@xxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2002 20:17:28 EDT

After working last night I spent about 4 hours on Island 13, with no
Great-tailed Grackle to be found. The congregation of crows that Jeff had
yesterday was there but they were staying in the treeline and the Pelicans
had all moved farther south down the island. Despite the miss on the main
target bird, Island 13 was worth the exertion. The shorebirds were much the
same as Jeff's post from yesterday, with 4 Piping Plovers, 4 Black-bellied
Plovers, and a single Golden. I couldn't locate a Baird's but a spiffy young
Wilson's Phalarope was a nice consolation. As Jeff said the juvenile Semi,
Western, and Least Sandpipers are pure eye candy with the sun at your back
and the birds only yards away. At least 200 White Pelicans are still in the
area, with a couple of other groups seen farther north after I left Island
13. The Black Tern numbers are incredible, with Tiptonville Bar still having
all 5 regularly occurring TN tern species. I also had my first migrant
warbler of the season, a Black-throated Green going into the north road to
Island 13. Hopefully the grackle will be refound, as we all know conditions
change from day to day.

Good birding!!!!!

Mike Todd
McKenzie, TN