[TN-Bird] Greater Scaup: Pittman Center

  • From: shaawitya@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 6 Jan 2014 15:13:57 +0000 (UTC)

Yesterday, 1/5, I found a female Greater Scaup cavorting with a couple of
Mallard at Bent Creek Golf Course at Cobbly Nob in Pittman Center, TN. As you
go in the resort, the ducks were on the first pond on the right, very easily
seen and observed. Who knows what tonight's cold will bring, but there are
several other ponds on the course to look for the bird and all are visible.
Attached are a few of the best photos I could arrange with my mini-digi through
a scope, but I've attached what I think are the best shots that show the most
diagnostic characters of the Greater Scaup; large bill with wide spread nail,
and big; large rounded head in all position; and less diagnostic, white facial
feathers are abundant. Please let me know if there are any dissenting opinions
for this bird.

Peace

Keith Watson
Pittman Center