[TN-Bird] Great day around Pace Point area (Henry Co) 1/14/2015

  • From: Michael Todd <birder1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TN-Bird Listserv <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2015 15:45:54 -0800

1/14/2015
Big Sandy Unit TN National Wildlife Refuge (Pace Point area) Henry Co

Spent most of the day birding the general Pace Point area. Met a couple of
birder/photographers from east TN who made the trek over to see the area, and
with luck get a lifer Golden Eagle. They only had about 3 hours to bird, so we
covered the main areas, and I went back to recheck Pace and Rocky Points, as
there were a tremendous amount of birds today.

First things first, the main target, Golden Eagle, was looking like a no show.
We scanned from the observation area at Bennett's Creek for a while (lots of
ducks, several Bald Eagles), with no luck. Left to bird Rocky and Pace Points,
and as a final fling stopped again to scan at Bennett's Creek about 12:30 as
they were leaving. In the final minutes, I looked back to the north, behind us,
and the adult GOLDEN EAGLE  was up soaring over the woods on the north side of
bay. We watched the bird soar, pretty high the whole time, for about 10 minutes
before it sailed off to the north out of sight. The 10:30-12:30 time here seems
to always be a good time to keep an eye to the sky for a Golden.

We birded Pace, with a big collection of gulls on the exposed island, including
an adult LESSER BLACK-BACKED GULL. Lots of ducks up towards Rocky Point, gulls
everywhere, and nice looks at Greater and Lesser Scaup together at Pace. We
went to Rocky Point, with excellent viewing conditions on very calm water with
just a bit of shimmer. Two of the first birds I saw in the distance from Rocky
were two RED-NECKED GREBES. These looked like new arrivals or travelers,
preening and exercising their wings the whole time. I came back about an hour
later and never could relocate the birds. On my return here, though I missed
the Red-necked Grebes, there were two PACIFIC LOONS staying together out among
the numerous Common Loons. Lots of Goldeneye and Red-breasted Mergansers, along
with a few of one of my favorites, COMMON MERGANSERS. I had at least 8 Commons
here, 2 adult males and 6 female types. On my way out I glanced at the bay at
Bennett's Creek again, and had
 a male and female Common here now as well. No Long-tailed Duck or Scoter on
the day; especially thought there might be a White-winged around with several
recent sightings in TN/KY.

There were at least 3, and possibly 4, Lesser Black-backed Gulls in the area.
We had the adult at Pace Point first thing, and I also had an adult on the
water just west of Rocky Point. When I went back to Pace that bird was still
there, could have moved and came back, but probably a different bird. Also had
a 1st cycle and 2nd cycle in the big gull roost at Pace.

Hope a few of these birds hang around a couple of weeks for the NTOS field trip
the end of the month!

Will get a few (mostly distant) photos up soon from today

Good Birding!!

Mike Todd
McKenzie, TN
birder1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx