[TN-Bird] Great Horned Owl (Greene Co., TN)

  • From: "Donald Miller" <pandion@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "TN-Bird" <TN-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Bristol-birds" <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2007 22:26:32 -0500

January 2, 2007
Greene County

Between 7:00 and 8:00 this evening, I heard a Great Horned Owl calling at
Tusculum College.  GHOW has been known to nest on campus for over a decade, so
I wasn't surprised to hear an owl calling, but I was surprised by this
particular call--one of the infrequently heard screams that the species gives.
 The call was somewhat nasal, more so than some of the GHOW screams I've heard
before.  (It was not comparable to any Barn Owl call that I've ever heard,
though, and I'm quite confident that the sound was not made by a member of this
species.  Both my own experience and the literature I've consulted bear out
this conclusion.)  Considerable variation has been documented in the scream
calls of GHOW, so the call I heard is probably within the range of expectable
occurrences.

Some sources suggest that these scream calls tend to be given by juveniles or
immatures.  If this is the case, then the possibility of a young GHOW in early
January is more intriguing.  The species nests very early, around this time of
year or a little later, so last year's young should be well past the juvenile
stage now.  Perhaps calls associated with the juvenile stage tend to persist in
somewhat older birds.

I would appreciate feedback on this.  Any thoughts?

Don Miller
Greeneville, Greene Co., TN

pandion@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

                  EXCELLENT MAP RESOURCES