[TN-Bird] Good news for Pale Male

  • From: Dthomp2669@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2004 08:18:31 EST

TN-Birders,
Below is a message I took from a Florida Bird line which was posted by a
member from Massachusetts and is apparently a National Audubon press release.
heard on Nashville's WKRN--channel 2 news this morning that "the pigeon spikes
are being put back up" and Pale Male & Lola can come home.  Interesting that
this "good news" was apparently NOT published in the NY TIMES, at least not in
the computer edition I get and which I have been watching for such an article.

Cheers,

Dee Thompson
Nashville, TN ...........and now, here's the post with the good news.
Enjoy,
Phil Brown
Essex, MA 01929
nebirds.plus@xxxxxxxxxxx
www.SaveTheNorthPool.com

http://www.audubon.org/news/press_releases/Pale%20Male%20Goes%20Home.html#TopO
fP
age

VICTORY FOR PALE MALE!

927 Fifth Avenue and Audubon Reach Agreement on Pale Male and Lola

New York, NY, Wednesday, December 15, 2004 â?? The Audubon Society and the
927 Fifth Avenue co-op board have reached an agreement to restore the
pigeon spikes that held in place the nest of red-tailed hawk Pale Male
and his mate Lola. The building intends to erect a guardrail around the
12th-floor window cornice, the original location of the nest, in order
to stabilize the area and make it more secure.

The decision follows a meeting on Monday held by building management,
park officials and members of the Audubon Society.

Audubon will cooperate with the building to ensure both the safety of
the birds and the safety and cleanliness of the area surrounding the
building through ongoing monitoring. Dan Ionescu Architects has been
retained to work with the co-op board and the Audubon Society to consult
on the design and construction of the guardrail around the spikes.

â??We are pleased by the boardâ??s decision to engage an architect to help
create a secure and stable environment that should enable the birds to
return to their home of more than a decade,â?? said National Audubon
Society President John Flicker.

â??This was a successful agreement that continues to convey the safety
issues raised by the board, and the need for the birds to restore their
nest and remain a part of the natural environment of the community. All
parties were pleased with the outcome,â?? stated 927 Fifth Avenue co-op
board Chairman Richard Cohen.

â??This is not only a great victory for Pale Male, but a victory for the
spirit of New York,â?? said David Miller, executive director of Audubon
New York (the state program of the National Audubon Society). â??We thank
the buildingâ??s board and residents for helping resolve this issue and
look forward to working with them in the future so that Pale Male and
the residents can coexist.â??

â??New York City Audubon wants to thank Pale Maleâ??s friends for their
dedicated support,â?? said E.J. McAdams, executive director of the cityâ??s
Audubon chapter. â??Weâ??re all waiting for Pale Male and Lola to come home
for the holidays.â??