[TN-Bird] Gibson & Crockett County

  • From: Mark Greene <greenesnake@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn bird <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2013 06:29:41 -0700 (PDT)

March 13. 2013
Gibson & Crockett Counties

I spent some time birding yesterday in Gibson & Crockett Counties and tallied
the following:

On Colvett Road in Crockett County I encountered a large feeding flock of Puple
Martins and Tree Swallows. There were approximately 40 birds in the flock with
near equal numbers of each species. There were a couple of N. Rough-winged
Swallows in the flock as well. I also had a Loggerhead Shrike near this
location.

In western Gibson County, on Bluff Road, in a flooded area in the bottoms, the
following were present:

Gadwall - 10
American Wigeon - 6
Mallard - 60
Northern Shoveler - 14
Northern Pintail - 20
Green-winged Teal - 25
Ring-necked Duck - 3
Great Blue Heron - 3
Killdeer - 2

East of Trenton, on Gibson County Lake, I had my FOS Osprey flying over the
lake and a couple of Double-crested Cormorants swimming in the lake. No ducks
or grebes were present on the lake.

Good birding!

Mark Greene
Trenton, TN