[TN-Bird] Gibson Co. Shorebirds 3/29/05

  • From: <birder1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2005 21:05:05 -0600

3/29/05
Humboldt
Gibson Co.
Todd Levee Rd.
I made a quick dash over to Humboldt today after work, intending to check the
large sod complex off of Todd Levee Rd. The sod farm was very quiet, only a few
Killdeer, with some Lesser Yellowlegs in the distance in a flooded area. As I
continued south on Todd Levee Rd to turn-around, I pulled into a field road
going down to a large flooded field in the Forked Deer River bottom. I
initially stopped to glass 3 ducks that were swimming in the area (Lesser
Scaups), but noticed a few shorebirds wheeling around in the distance. This
area is right on the Gibson/Madison Co. line.

This area was a treasure-chest of shorebirds. As soon as I looked the area
over, it was apparent that it was teeming with shorebirds. Pectoral Sandpipers
were literally everywhere, both along the immediate edge of the water, and
working the wet field as well. I wound up counting 368 Pec's, though they were
moving around so much that I'm sure I missed some in that number. Also working
the field were at least 79 Wilson's Snipe. While there were no Yellowlegs or
Least at this location, there were two more quality species. I got my 1st
American Golden-Plovers of the year here, as 4 of these big boys worked the
area, and treated me to that wonderful flight call a couple of times.

As much as I enjoyed the Goldens, I was happier still when I picked up the 1st
Baird's. As Jeff has mentioned several times, Baird's come through in small
numbers in the early shorebird movements in March, and then again during the
late April/May movement. I eventually picked up 7 Baird's, my highest spring
number. My previous spring encounters with Baird's have been of 1's (like this
last weekend along the Mississippi) and 2's, it was pretty neat to see 4 of
them standing right together among the Pec's today. I'd love a photo of a
spring Baird's, and though they were a little distant anyway, didn't have to
worry about that today as I didn't have my camera in the car. They were quiet
spiffy in their subtle way, being silvery-buff overall with the big black spots
on the scapulars, and a very lightly marked buffy wash across the breast.

Definitely a great way to end a bad day at work!

Good Birding!!

Mike Todd
McKenzie, TN
Carroll Co.