[TN-Bird] Geography day at Radnor, CONNECTICUT, etc.

  • From: fekel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 9 May 2007 14:02:00 -0500 (CDT)

Radnor Lake State Natural Area
Davidson Co.
Nashville, TN
Wed. 2007 May 9
6:45 am to 10:30 am

It was a glorious day at Radnor with large numbers of warblers.
The only minor problem was that it warmed up too quickly.
I met Phillip Casteel at Radnor Lake this morning, and we acted
as a scouting party for the large NTOS Wednesday walk group.  Just
after I arrived at the west parking lot we encountered Julie, an
Oregon birder, who accompanied us.

Phillip rolled into Radnor earlier than I did and almost immediately
spotted a CONNECTICUT WARBLER at the end of the west parking lot on the
cement walk at the beginning of the Spillway Trail.  It sang a few
times but by the time I arrived at 6:45 it was silent.  After
walking to Long Bridge and comparing notes with the Wednesday walk
group on the way back, we returned to the west parking lot about 10:15.
We soon briefly heard the CONNECTICUT WARBLER again, and this time after
waiting about 10 minutes I got an excellent look at it before it vanished
into the tall grasses near the two rail fence.  So easy and yet so
difficult.

We did not find the MOURNING WARBLER at Long Bridge today, but did hear
and see one at "Grassy Point" just before reaching the deck along the Lake
Trail.  It was a life sighting for our Oregon birder as were several other
warblers that we found today.

Between us, Phillip and I had 22 warbler species, and that was without
hearing or seeing N. PARULA and HOODED WARBLERs, usually "easy" to find
at Radnor.  MAGNOLIAs seemed to be everywhere, but also numerous were
BLACKPOLLs, CANADAs, BAY-BREASTED, and BLACK-THROATED GREENs.  Another
highlight were the 3 CAPE MAYs and 3 BLACKBURNIANs that we found.  Not
to be left out were several TENNESSEEs and a single NASHVILLE WARBLER.
A pleasant surprise were 3 WILSON'S and 3 YELLOW-THROATED WARBLERs.
PHILADELPHIA VIREOs were in abundance and we got a lone WARBLING VIREO
as well.

Mammals were also rather visible.  I saw my first MINK near Cane Bridge
at Radnor and at the deck we had an OTTER swimming toward the bank.

Birds of interest included:
Yellow-billed Cuckoo 1
Barred Owl 2
Acadian Flycatcher 1