[TN-Bird] Gateway Island - correction - NO Ruddy Duck

  • From: Daniel Estabrooks <hyla514@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-bird <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2012 18:28:15 -0700 (PDT)

Gateway Island
7/13/12
Rutherford Co.

Went back to Gateway in the evening to see if anything new had arrived
throughout the day and ran into a couple other birders whose names I have
already forgotten. (If you're reading this, I'm sorry!) The number of Least
Sandpipers had grown to 18, accompanied by two Spotted Sandpipers and our
faithful dowitcher. No Westerns, as Stephen reported. Also got a look at a
Tringa that I couldn't identify - probably Solitary.

Much to my great shame and humiliation, I also realized that my "Ruddy Duck"
from earlier was merely a juvenile Wood Duck holding its tail at a funny angle.
I knew the head shape didn't seem right, but I let the tail position override
the general appearance of the bird. Lesson to beginning birders: Never
overemphasize one trait at the expense of the rest of the bird!

Daniel Estabrooks