[TN-Bird] [Fwd: reelfoot gulls etc]

  • From: <terrywitt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2005 13:32:19 -0500

> From: <terrywitt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Date: 2005/02/23 Wed PM 10:05:41 EST
> To: <tn-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: reelfoot gulls etc
>
> I just couldn't stand it!!!  After having missed the Iceland Gull twice in
> Chattanooga several years ago, I made my second trip to Reelfoot Lake this
> year.  The weather was marginal to awful but the birds were brilliant - bad
> weather = good birds.   At 7 AM I was scoping the 1000 gulls roosting on Van
> Works Road.  After less than 30 minutes, I had both one Thayer's and one
> Iceland Gull in the bag, and at one time had both, plus first year Herring in
> the same scope view!!  At about 8:30, David Pitts pulled up in a UT Martin
> van, unfortunately about half the gulls had left not more than 5 minutes
> before, and that group included both the rare ones :-(.   Western Meadowlarks
> were singing in the field north of VW Road and with patience, I had great
> scope views of a bird singing from the top of a broken cornstalk.  I made a
> run north to the Philipy area, the only sighting of note was 5 immature
> eagles eating from a carcass (deer?) on the west side of Hwy78 south of the
> state line.  Unfortunately all were bald-headed.     There were numerous
> gulls west of the prison, but not accesssible without committing a felony, so
> I decided to head south to try for the Cackling Geese that had been reported
> at the Hurd Road loop.  On the way south, a squadron of A White Pelicans (50)
> flew ov
 er the road.  At Hurd Road, there was a large flock of Snow and Blue Geese
(?2000) and even from a distance I could see 4 Canada types.  Closer inspection
revealed 4 Richardon's Geese.  I went back north to both Van Works Road and
Proctor Roads - nothing at VW but on Proctor, the Iceland Gull and Thayer's
were both present.  No sign of the California or LBB Gulls seen.  By 2 PM the
rains had set in, and I headed home with a smily face.  I never saw David Pitts
again so have no idea how he and his students fared