[TN-Bird] Re: Fwd: State Birds

  • From: David Coe <davidbcoe@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 20 May 2013 15:46:59 -0500

It seems to me that he misses an opportunity here.  I shared this article with
my brother who is also a keen birder and lives up North.  Our discussion began
with him asking "Who really cares about state birds?" but soon turned in a
different direction.  Wouldn't it make more sense to try to tie state bird
designations to conservation efforts and issues like habitat loss.  More
species like the Greater Prairie Chicken and fewer chickadees and Carolina
Wrens.  And certainly fewer Cardinals and Mockingbirds.  Bobwhite populations
in TN are in steep decline.  Why not make it the state bird and start a
concerted effort to preserve remaining habitat for them?  There are similar
stories across the country.

Otherwise this is a fun academic exercise, but somewhat meaningless in the end.

My $.02.
*****
David B. Coe
www.DavidBCoe.com
www.dbjackson-author.com

Now Available, THIEFTAKER, by D.B. Jackson