[TN-Bird] [Fwd: Re: Turkeys and Ginseng Berries]

  • From: Raincrow <raincrow@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TNbird <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 07 Feb 2003 01:52:13 -0600

I don't know about grouses and turkeys. However, I wonder if ginseng has
a very
stringent requirement for a trace nutrient whose solubility/mobility in
soil is
adversely affected by acid rain? I recall an extremely exacting study
performed
on rats back in the 80s (maybe the late 70s), in which the animals were
raised
in a completely controlled environment that admitted only pure water and
a fully
characterized, laboratory-synthesized diet. Some of the rats were in
cages
exposed to unfiltered air while others breathed 99.999999% filtered air.
The
filtered-air rats failed to thrive due to vanadium deficiency while the
rats
breathing unfiltered air did just fine, receiving their vanishingly
minuscule
but necessary dose of vanadium from the dust in the air.

Liz Singley
Kingston TN