[TN-Bird] Re: [Fwd: Keep birdseed from germinating]

  • From: Dthomp2669@xxxxxxx
  • To: raincrow@xxxxxxxxxxx, tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 9 Aug 2003 11:09:30 EDT

Hello Liz,

Funny you should mention the 50 pound bags in the car with the windows up!  I
DO keep all the 50 pound bags upright on the floor of my back seat after I
buy them.  I take smaller plastic bags to the car and bring my seed inside in
8-10 pound amounts as I am no longer able to pull a 50 pound bag out of the car
much less get it into the basement.  Since my sunflower seed DOES still
germinate in spite of sitting in the car for long periods of time when I shop
or go
out somewhere, that must not work.  If "Heloise" is right, then perhaps the
seeds need the DRY heat of the oven with NO humidity to stop the germination
process.  I haven't tried it yet, and I am definitely no physicist, so I cannot
say either way.  Suppose "Heloise" was either misinformed by her researchers or
just "putting us on?"

Thanks for the comment.

Cheers & Prayers for great birding,

Dee Thompson