[TN-Bird] Fw: Update on Dee Thompson

  • From: "Wallace Coffey" <jwcoffey@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "TN-birds" <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2007 15:49:32 -0500

From: Tarcila Fox
Sent: Thursday, February 01, 2007 2:43 PM
Subject: Update on Dee Thompson

Update on Dee Thompson

Dee has been in rehab at Vanderbilt Stallman for about a week after her
discharge from St. Thomas Hospital. For any who do not know, some friends found
her, and called 911 after her e-mail began bouncing. At that point she was very
near death, and still had a couple of close calls in the hospital. She had
suffered since before the Christmas Count (about a month) with a bout of
debilitating gastrointestinal problems. Once in the hospital, she was found to
have Acute Kidney failure. When her dialysis was done she had a mild heart
attack. All that before my first visit with her, only 3-4 days after being
admitted. When I did find her, as I walked in the door, she was in the
beginning stages of a stroke. She must have angels watching over her because I
saw her on this past Sunday and she is back to her feisty self. Her color looks
good and though she had a cough the week before, she didn?t cough at all when I
was there to see her Sunday. She has no lasting effects of any of the problems
mentioned above!

She wanted me to thank everyone for their well wishes, and prayers. She said it
did a lot to help her recover to have received all the cards, and the e-mail
messages which I printed out and gave to her.

She also wanted to tell everyone that she will be soon be able to send out
e-mail again, because she is now being admitted to an assisted living facility,
a temporary stop, until she is ready to go home! As we were talking on the
phone, she was reporting on the 50 plus Starlings outside her window, at the
rehab unit (across the street from Vanderbilt Children?s Hospital). There were
her three ?regular? crows and a lone robin. Suddenly another small flock of
Starlings and 2 more crows flew in and she got all excited because she knew
something was up. Then she saw what was causing the crows to act differently,
one crow had a small rodent of some kind in its talons (I guess crows have
talons?).

She also reported a couple of days ago seeing a Jake Turkey near sunset. It
ambled through the bushes, across a parking lot and up the hill in the
direction of Love Hill. (If you know the busy, city area, you would be
surprised to see a turkey there.)

She was concerned that tonight the temperatures will dip, the bad weather will
arrive, and there is no one to feed the bird?s at Dee?s Smorgasbord. She was
especially concerned about her ?bossy mocks.?  I know they miss the peanut
butter, and seeds Dee puts out for them.

One thing I forgot to report for Dee (she will never forgive me) is that, when
she was still at St. Thomas; a Peregrine Falcon flew right up to her window and
lit on the side of the building for a moment. She was so excited and called me
right away. St. Thomas is the next door neighbor of St. Cecelia where we got
the Peregrine for a Christmas Count one year, at that time it was chasing a
small flock of Rock Pigeons.

Dee will not have a phone in the assisted living facility, but she hopes to get
computer access, and she will personally send her messages to each of you.

Here is her Current mailing address:

Dee Thompson c/o

The Waterford Assisted Living

8118B Sawyer Brown Rd.