[TN-Bird] Fw: Possible first state record gull - disclaimer

  • From: Terry Witt <terrywitt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-bird <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 18 Nov 2012 01:46:28 -0800 (PST)

After looking at Damien's photos and talking with several people, odds are that
both gulls were Lesser Black-backed.  I hope someone gets definitive photos of
the birds side by side - you will be impressed with the difference of size and
appearance.  Who said gull ID is easy??

Other sightings from yesterday:

No sign of the Ferrugineous Hawk at Bogota Wildlife Refuge.
Great Horned, Barred, and at least 2 SE Owls seen and/or heard before daylight.
The SE Owls were in the field to the right (west) just past the sign for pools
5
& 7 where we saw them last weekend as well. They are quite tape-responsive, at
least vocally.

At Ky Lake, ducks are arriving, with hundreds of Buffleheads and Horned Grebes
at Paris Landing.

The gull roost at Eagle creek held several hundred birds about half RB and half
Bonaparte's.  A single Ross's Goose was present.

At Britton Ford a small flock of geese included Snow, Greater WF, and Canada.
Most of the ducks there are either Mallards or Gadwall.  The Ruddy
Duck/Canvasback collection was nowhere to be seen - victims of the new building
project??

Cheers

Terry Witt
Murfreesboro Tn