[TN-Bird] Fw: Poetry, Birds and Birding CBC 2005

  • From: "thelmahughescumbie" <thelmahughescumbie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Tennessee birders TOS" <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 17 Dec 2005 15:45:13 -0500

           Come In
As I came to the edge of the woods,
Thrush music - hark!
Now if it was dusk outside,
Inside it was dark.

Too dark in the woods for a bird
By slight of wing
To better its perch for the night,
Though it still could sing.

The last of the light of the sun
That had died in the west
Still lived for one song more
In a thrush's breast.

Far in the pillared dark
Thrush music went -
Almost like a call to come in
To the dark and lament.

But no, I was out for stars:
I would not come in.
I meant not even if asked,
And I hadn't been.
                                          By Robert Frost

Am I getting too old to do the Christmas Bird count or am I just getting out of
shape?  Either is a disaster!!!!  But here I am at home all day today with the
juncos, chick-a-dees and mourning doves.... watching my feeders while
Elizabethton counts all the birds in the area.  And I have done this so often
for decades in snowy cold windy bitter awful icy muddy weather... but this
day... this CBC 2005..

Woe is me! So how will I be a participant?  I did get a kick, in fact, became
intrigued with the limericks on the website this week...

(Wallace this surely qualifies for the bird listing... I know you will let me
know if it does not.)

Robert Frost once wrote, "A poem begins in delight and ends in wisdom."  And he
continued, "For me the initial delight is in the surprise of remembering
something I didn't know I knew."
To give some insight on Frost's success as he grew in age after a spell of
being in decline as a writer, it is said that his new poems had a surprising
vigor... reflective intensity, seasoned in experience, fresh in emotion.
Ahhhhh!  Frost with age......

Interesting... I did not realize how this would end!!!! Fascinating how the
mind works.  I surprise myself!
Tess Cumbie
Buladean, NC Mitchell County
Elizabethton Birding Club