[TN-Bird] Ft Loudon Lake off Turkey Creek Road

  • From: Dan Ellsworth <ellsy10@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Tennessee Bird List <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2014 11:43:44 -0500

I have seen a lot of activity the last couple weeks on Ft. Loudon Lake
off of Turkey Creek road.  Especially on weekends I noticed many birds take
refuge in this section
when boat traffic is heavy on the rest of the lake.  Many bait fish
gather here as well prior to and during their spawn in spring and I have
 observed a lot of feeding lately by diving birds.

Last Saturday,
 3/15, I had a personal high count of 163 Double-crested Cormorants. I tried to
attach a picture of the dense group but I kept getting an undeliverable message.

There are consistently many grebes, herons, and kingfishers in this location. I
have also randomly seen groups of Redheads, Mallards, Wood Ducks, Lesser Scaup,
and
even up to three Red-breasted Mergansers that have come and gone over
the last couple weeks.  There are also many gulls that have ranged from
50 on some days to over 500 on others.  It can be hit or miss depending
on the day, but if anyone is birding the Concord Park/Northshore Drive area the
next week
 or so you may want to take a chance and drive down Turkey Creek Road as
 well.  It is a lot of fun to watch so many birds feeding in such a small area!

Dan Ellsworth
Farragut TN