[TN-Bird] Franklin's Gulls - Mississippi River, Memphis

  • From: OLCOOT1@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 4 Oct 2008 22:56:51 EDT

Oct. 4, 2008
Mississippi River
Ensley Bottoms
Mud Lake, Shelby Co. TN

The Mississippi River has dropped some more but nothing after an hours  watch
this AM, so I left for the "Pits".
Lots of Least Sandpipers to say the least,  2 Lesser Yellowlegs, the
Sanderling is still around, 5 Western Sandpipers (2 basic pl, 2 molting and 1
in
juvenile plumage just replacing a couple of mantle feathers) plus a dozen
Pectoral Sandpipers. My first western calurus Red-tail for the season seen
sitting
in a dead snag and a migrating Cooper's plus an Osprey were the raptor  total,
except for 3 resident Kestrel. Lots of Nashville and Tennessee  Warblers
working the ragweed and boxelders

Another Osprey and 2 Ruddy Ducks at Robco; at Mud Lake, no Spoonbills but  62
Forster's Terns, 4 Greater Yellowlegs, 3 Lesser, plus Least and Pectoral
Sandpipers.

Back to the Mississippi River afternoon to find 2 FRANKLIN'S GULLS resting
in an eddy behind a dike off Loosahatchie Bar. I have a couple of distant
photos. It's time for them to move so heads up.

The surprise of the day back at Ensley at 5 PM, 13 - BLACK-BELLIED  WHISTLING
DUCKS, 1 adult-11 young, I'm still shaking my head as to where  these birds
came from...........Such is birding!!!!
Good Birding  !!!

Jeff R. Wilson / TLBA
6300 Memphis-Arlington Road
Bartlett, TN  38135
http://www.pbase.com/ol_coot/
What is this feathered thing that  lifts my heart to the heavens.

                       MAP RESOURCES