[tn-bird] Fitz-bew! (Greene Co., TN)

  • From: Don Miller <raincrow@xxxxxxx>
  • To: TN-Bird <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2002 22:45:58 -0400

[This is a follow-up to my post yesterday regarding Willow Flycatcher
and Dickcissel in Greene County.]

Late in the afternoon yesterday, Ben Britton, a birder friend from
Morristown (Hamblen County), cruised the Joachime Bible Refuge unit of
Lick Creek Bottoms Wildlife Management Area and nearby areas in western
Greene County looking for Willow Flycatcher and Dickcissel and found two
of the former adjacent to the Lick Creek Bottoms property on Highway 348
in Beulah community.  Today, Ben and I went back to that area and found
three birds fitz-bewing across the road from and beside the Beulah
property.  We also re-checked the Joachime Bible Refuge unit and heard
the bird that I had found previously, bringing our total for the day to
four.

We searched carefully at Beulah for signs of a female or a nest but
found nothing.  In any case, the presence of four singing males is
significant.

Many thanks to Ben for finding these additional Willow Flycatchers.

Don Miller,
Greeneville, TN