[TN-Bird] Re: Fisher in Dyer County?

  • From: <dickpreston@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 20 Jul 2015 22:42:25 -0500

July 20, 2015
Dyer County

Birding in Dyer County I was startled to see a medium sized, long-bodied and
low-slung mammal dart across Hwy 181 very near the entrance to White’s Lake. My
first impression was a Fisher (Martes pennanti), even though River Otter
(Lontra canadensis) is common in the area and similar in size and structure.
Speeding up, I was able to get a good view of the animal, as it stopped to
stare back at me. The head (snout and ears) were unlike an otter and match a
Fisher. The tail was long and very bushy, again, unlike an otter. Overall body
color was very dark, almost black. The animal was robust, assumed to be a male.
Fishers were once widespread in Tennessee, but extirpated a couple of hundred
years ago due to hunting and trapping for fur. According to the TWRA website
(tnwatchablewildlife.org), a small number have been re-introduced in Cumberland
County. The habitat in this part of Dyer County is not what you would expect a
Fisher to take up residence in. I have seen at least a 100 River Otters and
scores of weasels and mink. I’m confident this was a Fisher, however unlikely
it seems.

Cheers,

Dick Preston
Munford